Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I'm Bark...I mean BACK!

Sorry everyone that I have been MIA for awhile.  I'm sure you read my last post that I got engaged and got a new puppy, but I also went on a vacation to Disney World over Spring/Passover Break, grades are due, and am now in the process of planning my wedding.  I'm back now, and I'm super excited to share with you some new ideas I have.

Last Friday I taught both 5th and 6th grades, and because we are nearing the end of the year, but also starting our 4th and last quarter, I decided to do something a little different.  The students have had tons of practice with learning Microsoft Word and have been tirelessly practicing their typing skills using Mavis Beacon, but now I want them to use what they've learned.  Using Kidblog, a safe blogging website that teachers can set up for their students (and monitor) I have created accounts for each student and organized them by grade/class.

Each week the students will alternate between a list of prompts to choose from or time for "free-write."  While they all can't be dog themed, I will include at least one prompt that has something to do with dogs.  Today's doggy prompt is: "What would happen if it really did rain cats and dogs?"  Today a few of my students chose this prompt, but the rest of them favored "If you had $1 million what would you buy?" and   "If you could have a superpower what would it be and why?"  Incorporating blogging into the computer curriculum has so far proven to be beneficial.  The students are using technology that they have not used before and they are practicing their keyboarding skills by typing.