Friday, February 24, 2012

Who, What, When, Where, Why, How...WOOF....

Back from my trip to Florida....I apologize for not posting (it was also parent-teacher conferences & report card time)

After reading, whether silently or as a whole class, it is important for the students to be able to discuss and recall the events that happened in the story.  What happened, where did it take place...etc...  The 5 W's (+1 H) is a great tool that is commonly used as a graphic organizer in many classrooms.  It is also a great resource for students to use after reading articles/current events.  

The 5 W's
  • WHO is the story about?
  • WHAT happened?
  • WHEN did it happen?
  • WHERE did it happen?
  • WHY did it happen?
  • HOW did it happen?
My design utilizes my "dog theme" and can be copied onto student handouts.  This is a miniature size of the 5 W's.  I have one that I also enlarged and laminated to hang on the wall in my classroom.  You can also even let the students color their own copies to make them more personal.  I've noticed that when kids personalize a notebook or a folder, they tend to be more excited to use it!